The Childcare and Community Centres, Ashton and District is the new legal name for Ashton, Wigan and District YMCA.
There has been a YMCA in Ashton-in-Makerfield since 1905. In 1926 it located to the site on Bolton Road. Since then the site has undergone three major rebuilds as part of restructures. Funds obtained from Wigan Local Authority, S.R.B. and RECHAR grants were matched from funds obtained from the sale of land in trust to Ashton YMCA. In 1993 the Hilton Street premises were officially opened.
Ashton, Wigan and District YMCA, changed its name in 1995 as a result of individuals using the YMCA services from a wider catchment area throughout the borough.
In 1997 investment from Ashton YMCA again upgraded the Bolton Road site to a Young People’s Centre for 13 to 24 year olds. The site also housed the organisation’s training service, which opened in 1998.
In 2018 the company changed its branding to Childcare and Community Centre, following agreement from the Board of Trustees.
The organisation endeavours to support as many agencies as possible to complement and support community groups.